Monday 26 January 2015

Fruits and vegetables market

When I want to buy fruits and vegetables, I go to visit one of my favourite place in whole Dubrovnik. Yes, I am talking about the market in Gruž! The point is, you can buy fresh and local fruit and vegetables. I am always uneasy, when see all that nice oranges and zuchinis in supermarkets come from Italy and Spain. I am for supporting local producers and the best way to do that, is to buy their products. When I returned from Christmas holiday, I was very curious whether there will be still some people selling their food in the market, but it was a pleasant suprise! You can still buy fresh fruits and vegetables, even during the wintertime.
And that is not all.
You can also buy eggs from happy hens, olive oil, legumes, goat or cow cheesse or arančini, what is orange peel covered in sugar, very popular in the south Dalmacia.
Moreover, there is a fish market right next to the market with fruits and vegetables. All in one! :)

In the winter, the most usual fruits you can see are mandarines or oranges. Their taste have nothing common with imported citrus fruits.

Dried figs, chickpea, olive oil, potatoes...

Oranges and a homemade orange jam.

Oranges everywhere... and olive oil.

OK, I guess, that bananas are imported though...

No comments:

Post a Comment